Looking southward at Pacific Heights, this is Baker Street about 1895.
Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco, CA
Text partially excerpted from 'The District Handbook: A CORO Foundation Guide'
The Marina District was created by landfill for the site of the Panama Pacific Exposition in 1915. The Exposition was constructed to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal. It covered over 635 acres with ten exhibition halls. The only remnants from the fair are the Yacht Harbor and the Palace of Fine Arts.
In the Marina beautiful homes with spectacular views of the Bay were built right across from the Marina Green. The Green became a favorite location for kite flyers despite and early ordinance that expressly prohibited the flying of kites.
In 1989 a 7.1 earthquake stunned the city and devastated sections of the Marina District. More than 30 structures were destroyed.
The following 35 pages are in this category, out of 35 total.